Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beppu Menkan 别府 @ Tiong Bahru Plaza

I always feel the best ramen I have ever taken is in Japan. The local ramen tastes more like instant noodles than anything else. Still, there are some places which serve quite good ramen of a reasonable standard.

One such place is Beppu Makan, which surprisingly, serves pretty good ramen. I was having lunch earlier with some friends and I ordered the chicken ramen. The spiciness index comes in two chillis, four chillis, eight chillis or the fiery sixteen chillis!

The customer service is pretty good, considering all of us have diverse taste. Some do not like onions, some do not like corn, onions and peas, some prefer more chilli, some prefer no chilli at all. The service staff wrote everything down and got all our orders right!

I ordered mine with four chillis, and it is not as spicy as I thought it would be. The ramen came in a big bowl with a big spoon, typical style of a Japanese ramen. The ingredients consist of corn, chicken, peas and spring onions.

For a local-made ramen, it is one of the rare good ones I have taken. If it tastes this good here, I wonder how much better it would taste in Beppu itself? I hope to be able to go again and see if I can take an even spicier one!

Food : 3.5 out of 5
Service : 4 out of 5
Price : 3.5 out of 5

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...