Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Shangri-La Wedding

A cousin got married yesterday, and her dinner banquet was at Shangri-La. For all the hype about Shangri-La, when I went in, somehow I was not impressed. The ballroom seems ordinary, like any other ballroom in any other hotel. The table setting also seems ordinary. The serving staff seems inexperienced, nervous and no product knowledge at all.

The worst part is that the food is not good at all! For the price the bridal couple is paying, it is totally not worth it! If I am the bride, I will feel absolutely ripped off, as they are paying top dollar for less than mediocre food, ambience and service! I will not recommend this place for any banquets whatsoever! For this kind of price, St Regis is a much better choice in terms of food, service and ambience!

The table setting

First dish - cold cut combination of suckling pig, salad prawns, spring rolls, duck and jelly fish
Second dish - Shark's fin
Third dish - I believe this is a cod fish, but the sauce is a tad salty. And for such a soggy dish, the serving staff did not even bother giving us an extra spoon!
Fourth dish - I think it is cereal prawn of sorts
Fifth dish - Poached chicken with a few sticks of vegetables
 
Sixth dish - Abalone with vegetables
Seventh dish - Fried Rice, which is the worst I have ever taken
Eighth dish - Dessert
At least the wedding ceremony itself was beautiful. I was there for the wedding, not the food, hence stayed throughout, but many left before the fried rice was served as it was too long a gap in between courses and the whole dinner became too draggy. If I ever get married, this will be one place I will not consider!

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...