Friday, September 17, 2010

Mel's Drive-In @ Universal Studios

Last night, I was priviledged enough to get invited to Universal Studios for free, complete with a meal voucher of S$10.00 per person. After the rides and exploring the place, we went to Mel's Drive-In, which I had heard about, for dinner. The entire meal for two cost S$19.90 in all, so we did not need to pay a single cent after utilising the vouchers!

My first impression of the place is that it kind of reminds me of Billy Bombers - the concept of an American eatery in the 1950s to 1960s, where there are jukeboxes, popstars and milkshakes. In fact, the set meal consists of a burger, fries and iced tea.

We were lucky to get a place by the window, which overlooks out into the water and the lights reflecting upon it. The thing is, it does not look like it is an outside view, it looks like an interior view!

The exterior of the restaurant
This retro car is parked outside the restaurant
The food counter
The interior of the restaurant


Because it is a fast food joint, I ordered a chilli burger set and he ordered a double cheeseburger set. When the food arrived, I was surprised. The burger is big! It is almost an American size burger! Luckily it is not so big that I could not finish it, although after the burger, I could not eat the fries anymore! Even the iced tea was huge, like the McDonald's large cup of Pepsi! At least it is still not as big as the burgers in Carl's Junior!

His double cheeseburger
My chilli burger
The fries
The big cup of iced tea
The other side of the iced tea cup
Normally I do not go for fast food joints unless it is McDonald's or KFCs, but Mel's Drive-In is good! The food is great and filling. Although the set meal is a bit on the high side, still the price is pretty worth it, as compared to those overpriced yet small portions places. Worth the try!

Food : 4 out of 5
Ambience : 3.5 out of 5
Price : 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...