Friday, September 10, 2010

Bei Shan Chuan Spicy Steamboat Buffet (北山川) @ ViVo City

I am not a big fan of buffets or steamboat. As far as I am concerned, it will be a waste of my money going for a buffet, as I only eat certain kinds of food. Hence, having a all-you-can-eat buffet simply defeats the purpose as I will be full after one course.

The same goes for steamboats. I like my food cooked in a certain way, and if I am to go for a steamboat where it is mass cooking, somehow the taste is not up to what I desired.

Still, we met some friends for a steamboat buffet lunch earlier since it is a public holiday. One thing good about this steamboat place is that there are two different kinds of soup - so I chose Hot and Spicy soup and Chicken soup. The soup is then poured onto a pot and the gas is then switched on, leaving the pot to boil.

The steaming pot

While waiting for the soup to boil, we then went to collect the food. I must say, there is quite a big variety of meat (chicken, fish, beef), seafood (prawns, squid, salmon, threadfin), vegetables (cabbages, green vegetables), mushrooms (shitake, button, long), noodles, bee hoon, even ice-cream, fruits, puddings, cakes and whatnot! Simply put, it is a feast!

We filled up our plates with the food and went back to our seats. We put in the food in the soup and let it cook. Some things can cook instantly, like the mushrooms, while others may take a longer time, like the prawns. We had a variety of hot and spicy as well as chicken.

The different kinds of meat
The food cooking away
The different kinds of vegetables

Cooking noodles
The cooked food
 
We had about three courses, and then it was as much as we could take. As I said, buffets do not work for me as my appetite is too small. Hence I much prefer a la carte or set meals where I can just order enough for my stomach.

In any case, after eating, I was intrigued by the bandung ice cream, and decided to take some to try, together with mango pudding and some fruits. The bandung ice cream has quite an interesting taste, but I much prefer the drink since it is tastier and sweeter!
The bandung ice cream
 
The meal wrapped up around an hour and a half. In any case, the buffet is only limited to two hours, as every hour or part thereof will be charged a nominal amount. All in all, it cost about S$25.00 per person for two kinds of soup, all-you-can-eat buffet (as long as there are no leftovers) and for two hours! Pretty worth it!

Food : cannot comment since we cooked it ourselves, but for variety, I would give it 4.5 out of 5
Service : 3.5 out of 5
Price : 4 out of 5

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...