Thursday, May 12, 2011

Quentin's @ Eurasian Association House

For a long time, I had wanted to try authentic Eurasian food. Most of the "Eurasian" food I tried were Peranakan-based food. Even though I have the recipes for Eurasian food written by the famous Mary Gomez, I have never tried authentic Eurasian food.

So today, I made it a point to go to the restaurant at the Eurasian Association called Quentin's. Instead of a set meal, the meal was communal. We had stewed beef, sambal kang kong, fried chicken wings, and dessert of chendol, gula melaka and the famous sugee cake (of course!).




When we sat down, complimentary crackers were served, just like a Peranakan or Indonesian restaurant. And these were Indonesian crackers, not the normal prawn crackers that are so nice and tasty, but the more bitter kind.


Stewed Beef
The beef was supposed to be cooked in chilli, but somehow the taste was not that fantastic.


Sambal Kangkong
The spicyness of this dish is there, but the presentation looked more like mixed assorted vegetables to me.


Fried Chicken Wings
At least the chicken wings are great! They were deep fried in chicken frying oil, which made a big difference to the normal chicken fried in normal cooking oil.


Sugee Cake
I must say this is rather disappointing. I thought a sugee cake looks nicer than this. Or maybe the ones I have seen are beautiful because they are meant for weddings. The taste is a normal butter cake, a tad dry. Overall disappointing.


Chendol
Gula Melaka

The dessert is also disappointing. The gula melaka is not sweet enough and the coconut milk is not thick enough. The best gula melaka and chicken wings I have eaten so far was at this now-defunct place called Do Re Mi, opposite the music school at the old Plaza Singapura. Unfortunately the place has closed down for many years. :-(

Overall, my first experience at tasting Eurasian food is not that impressive. Hopefully when I do find the other famous Eurasian food which everyone has been raving about, it may be better.

Food : 3 out of 5
Ambience : 2 out of 5
Price : 3 out of 5

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...