Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Local Delicacies In Kuching And Mulu

After Miri, I went on to Kuching where I spent a few days before going cave-adventuring in Mulu. There are also some delicious local delicacies which I tried in both Kuching and Mulu. When I got off the plane, the lady of the guesthouse where I would be staying, came to pick me up, and then brought me for lunch at a local coffee shop, where we had Foochow cake and Sarawak laksa.

Foochow Cake
 
Sarawak Laksa

 
The next morning, I set out on my adventure touring Kuching. The lady of the guesthouse made me a simple but delicious breakfast before I set off.


I like the shape of the egg!
 


The tour guide that was taking me around for the two days was also nice enough to bring me to a roadside cafe outside a longhouse for the famous three-layered tea.


Entrance to the cafe
 

Surroundings of the cafe
 

Famous Sarawak three-layered tea - made from gula melaka, condensed milk and tea
 
My fourth day in Kuching I wandered around to the market on my own. I came across a coffee shop and decided to have lunch. Again I ordered the three-layered tea and the local nasi lemak.
 


Nasi Lemak with egg, anchovies and chicken wing
 
The second last day in Kuching, I went jungle adventuring with some travel mates. So the lady of the guesthouse kindly made us breakfast of fried brown rice to give us energy while hiking.
 

 Friend Brown Rice with egg
 
It was an intensive jungle trail, so by the time we went for lunch, I was famished! I ordered everything on the menu, and so my lunch consisted of mee goreng, nasi lemak, chicken wings, vegetables, anchovies and egg.
 

Good for hiking!
 
After coming back from the jungle adventure, we decided to eat at a restaurant overlooking the river since it was our last night. I had fried seafood vermicelli for dinner.
 



The following day was my last morning in Kuching. I had the last breakfast before catching a plane to Mulu. Breakfast consisted of two pieces of toast, egg and spread.


Upon arriving in Mulu, I went on a canopy hike first, before having an early dinner at the cafe. I had to order at the counter, take a number, then sit at one of the wooden tables. I ordered ko lok mee, but it was not impressive as well.

The cafe at Mulu Resort
 


The river next to the cafe
 

Ko Lok mee with iced tea
 
The next morning, I had a sumptuous breakfast of nasi lemak, to prepare for the intensive cave adventure for the day.
 


My next two breakfasts consisted of American breakfast and then pancakes, before I left Mulu and went to catch the plane to my next destination.


 
Hence this concludes my food adventure in Sarawak. Now on to Kuala Lumpur at the peninsula!

No comments:

Rabbit Brand Seafood @ Lucky Plaza

I had dinner with a friend at Rabbit Brand Seafood tonight. It is a little eatery situated at the second floor of Lucky Plaza, up the esca...